Programming Language Design
Fall 2017 @NCU
- Serial Number
- Course Number
- Class Schedule
- Thursday 234, E6-A303
- Prof. YungYu Zhuang
- Yao-Nang Tseng (email: 106522031 at cc.ncu.edu.tw)
- Office Hours
- Thursday afternoon, or by appointment
- Course Objective
- To learn the essential elements of programming languages, and the philosophy of
design in different languages. By comparing the similar concepts in different
programming languages, to see what the difference is and why they are invented.
To know how to use them properly even if they are expressed by different syntax
in various languages.
- Course Description
- We will explain the design dimensions in programming languages, and discuss many
famous language constructs and code modularity. We will also pick up several
important programming paradigms to discuss their origins, applications, merits,
and demerits. Since some topics are hardly mentioned in existing textbooks, we
will summarize some papers and have the training in reading papers. Some
related design patterns will be mentioned as well.
- Attendance 30%, Homework 40%, Final Report 30%